Question reguarding recordings

Discussions on technology and its application and implications in divorce

Question reguarding recordings

Unread postby BigHonk12 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:23 pm

Pondering getting a recorder, and reviewed laws in my state of KY reguarding recordings. It seems it's a felony (I do understand that it probably won't go that far).

But say I get one and record everytime I am around her, and a phony DV charge is called into question, how do I convince the police that recordings for that day were in fact from that day. Also, what if that say, we'll sir, you could have edited this, or that might have been recorded 3 years ago.

See where I am going with this? I can see the use for recording if she is threatening things...
BigHonk12
New

Re: Question reguarding recordings

Unread postby grandetaco » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:48 pm

First of all, if ever the police is called don't take out the recorder and start shouting you have been recording ;-)

From what I have read here, DA will not prosecute you for recording to save your skin.
“A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband, while a man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.”
grandetaco
500+ Posts

Unread postby BigHonk12 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:11 pm

Thanks for the resopnse
BigHonk12
New

Unread postby Trevor » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:15 pm

BigHonk12 wrote:...you could have edited this, or that might have been recorded 3 years ago.

It's still recording and you ask the officer his name and there it is at the end of your recording. Cake, man. Think.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:03 pm

The television show Cops was on for decades - did you ever watch it?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:00 pm

BigHonk12 wrote: But say I get one and record everytime I am around her, and a phony DV charge is called into question.....
In a he-said, she-said argument, who do you think police will believe?? HINT: It certainly won't be you.

Get a good quality digital recorder and keep it running whenever you're around her!! It'll be your only defense against a phony DV accusation.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Southern.Putter » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:08 am

But, and this is super important, you cannot ever tell anyone that you've been recording her. Only tell us, here. Or, better yet, don't even tell us. Just listen to us, pay attention, and take appropriate action, discreetly. Tell no one else in real life, except your own attorney in the privacy of an attorney-client consultation. If you have any interactions with law enforcement, be sure to record those as well and get the officers name, date and time in there somehow. Then, share later, in private, with your attorney.

A lot of guys want to play "ah hah! I've got you now!" games with their recordings. They feel a sense of "power" from having such evidence and want to slap the < female dog > in the face with it. Don't do it. Take the fact that you're recording to the grave with you. Seriously. Especially if you're not in a "one-party" state, when it comes to recordings.

For every guy that ends up needing his recording in court, there are dozens and dozens who do not. However, if you need it, you NEED IT big time. There are very few situations in which they will be beneficial to you. The judge in your divorce does not care about your arguments or other "normal" marital discord and drama associated with divorce. S/he (hizzoner) has seen and heard it all.

Now, if you have a recording of her making devil voices, threatening to burn you in your sleep, harm kiddos, harm herself, etc. then the judge will care about that kind of thing. Other than that, it's all pretty much "meh" to the judge. It may be a HUGE deal in your own emotional life, but it's just another day in divorce court for all of those who work in the courts. Try to keep a healthy perspective on it.

When all was said and done with my divorce, I was left with GBs of recordings on a hidden storage location. They'll never see the light of day. I have no desire to listen to them, and, as they years have gone by, am leaning more and more toward deleting them. It actually feels strange to still have them, but the peace of mind that came from having them during the divorce process was priceless.
Southern.Putter
500+ Posts

Unread postby TeflonDad » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:36 pm

Ditto what Southern.Putter said.

Remember, a cop's job is to collect evidence for the prosecution. Period. They're not there to decide whose story is right or wrong. They have discretion when they think they're being lied to, but they really don't care - that's for the DA and the judge to figure out. And they don't want to exclude anyone that might be guilty because they didn't collect or missed critical evidence - again, that's for the DA to decide, not them.

They are there for triage, not treatment. We don't have to like it, but you have to be real about what's going on when cops show up.

If recordings are used at all, I'm guessing they're only in conference with your lawyer (remember, you're paying him/her a couple franklins an hour to listen to tapes), and even then, only the *substance* of what was said by whom will be made known in court or in settlement conferences - not the existence of the recordings.

They exist to help your memory recall the details of who said what when where and in what tone. They are not the evidence. YOUR MEMORY OF WHAT HAPPENED IS.
The board is the sum of all of your great posts. Help divorced men be great dads!
Divorce help in a father friendly divorce forum. More tips on how to deal with your divorce at DadsDivorce.com
TeflonDad
Moderator Emeritus

Unread postby TeamAwesome » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:06 am

Nah, they're for the frog march. When the police walk you out after princess tells them how abusive you are, then you tell them you've been recording, even their name and number, and it's been beimg uploaded to the cloud the whole time. Would he care to listen? to princess assaulting you? Guess who gets walked out then? Hint: it's not you....
TeamAwesome
100+ Posts

Return to Technology and Divorce