SMS export from iCloud - firsthand experience?

Discussions on technology and its application and implications in divorce

SMS export from iCloud - firsthand experience?

Unread postby stay-hungry » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:58 am

Hi all, first post here.

Does anyone have firsthand experience with exporting miles-long SMS threads backed up on Apple iCloud into some kind of standard, searchable text format?
Typing "SMS export" into Apps Store search brings up plenty of apps, I'm wondering which one will do the job properly (from reading around a bit, it seems the free ones don't).

Thanks
stay-hungry
New

Re: SMS export from iCloud - firsthand experience?

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:38 am

Why? Why do you need it?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby stay-hungry » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:14 am

Why do I need it?

To corroborate some facts (not relying on it as sole proof - I have corroborating evidence / witnesses for most of it):
- NJ verbally / emotionally abusing me
- NJ repeatedly telling me to move out, then changing her mind and going "we'll work this out and it'll be happily ever after" (She's now trying present it as me "abandoning" her when I finally had enough)
- NJ harrassing me with truckloads of SMS while I was at work
- NJ leaving the house with the kids, then changing her mind and dropping one of the kids at my office while I was at work

Do I need to go on?

Also, to get things clearer in my own head. I'm sure there's stuff I've forgotten, things where my memory is not entirely accurate re. dates & times, exact sequence of events, etc.
stay-hungry
New

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:20 am

You don't need it - our experience is proof.

Texts are utterances, not of much value legally. While you are trying to make sense of the woman's words, you are going to be irrational about the gaslighting that you endure. What you should engage in is therapy, not trying to reconstruct the conversations so as to dispute them.

And you certainly must have some concern for your legal fees, right? The value of these texts is in a new BMW or Mercedes Benz for your lawyer, when you pay to have them reviewed.

Have you considered that you are not required to accept the wifey's texts? Why don't you simply block the wifey's ability to text and call you? Move communications to email only?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby stay-hungry » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:40 am

Hey Bart,

Thanks for responding. I've browsed around before joining, and I understand you're doing some excellent work here.

Regarding your concerns about my approach:
Legal value - My lawyer says otherwise. I'm not in the US*
These are old SMS. I stopped communicating with the NJ by phone and SMS a few months ago, then when she sued me I also cut off email, it's all through lawyers now.
Not gonna pay my lawyer to review them - I'll do the reviewing and send them the juicy bits.

Therapy - my budget for that is less than zero right now due to "temporary" child support that's been court ordered for the next few months before the case gets heard. I'm doing some "DIY therapy" instead, may be good to talk about that, on another subforum though.

Anyone for a straight-up technical answer?

* I don't want to reveal my location because combined with some other things I'll probably want to discuss here in future, it may make me identifiable. If you're a mod and can see my location and you have some info that's specifically relevant to my jurisdiction, please send me a PM.
stay-hungry
New

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:51 am

This forum is based on US Law only. As gentleman of the United States, we should not be engaged in discussions about other countries legal matters because the risk of bad advice is exponential.

You circle back to using Text messages, when this forum highly discourages use of text evidence based on the conditions of divorce in the United States - and the inherent cost in legal fees for mudslinging.

You have moved out of the home when this forum must regard that as a fatal mistake for custody - I am certain you will explain why you are the exception there, too.

And your paranoia is noted. It is not our obligation to endure your antics of obscurity so that you might entertain your paranoia and the benefits of this forum. It is a distraction, not a novelty.

This forum is sponsored by a US law firm, as a marketing tool. It does not serve our benefactor to waste his bandwidth on those whom are not in his demographic. Please condisder finding or founding a forum that is in your country of origin, and not distract from the basic principles of this forum due to differerences in your country's laws.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby stay-hungry » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:57 am

Hi Bart

Thanks for the clarifications.
Although not a gentleman of the United States, I am much more comfortable in English than the local language where I live, and in need of advice on a wide range of strategic and technical issues. Any questions I have asked or may ask here in future which, unbeknownst to me, may be irrelevant or inappropriate for a US audience, are not intended to confuse the target audience or waste anyone's time or money.

Have a good day
stay-hungry
New

Return to Technology and Divorce