Redacting SS#

Discussions on technology and its application and implications in divorce

Redacting SS#

Unread postby grandetaco » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:12 pm

Well I have to give some docs to atty, she wants SS#s redacted,
how best is this done?
I tried black sharpie but # is still visible and shows up on copies.
White-out can be scratched off.

Help pls.
“A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband, while a man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.”
grandetaco
500+ Posts

Re: Redacting SS#

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:20 pm

Exacto blade
Fatheroffour

Unread postby grandetaco » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:06 pm

can't has stuff on the other side, I guess, I could recopy them and then cut out the ssn, arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrragh
“A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband, while a man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.”
grandetaco
500+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:20 pm

Try going digital.

The discovery request I received had two pages of the instructions dedicated on how to organize the paper documents. These instructions demanded me to organize the documents in logical folders, and if there were enough for boxes, to use well-marked and logically-organized boxes. Delivered to oc's office at so-and-so, by yada, yada.

At least twice in these instructions, it stated these must be 'original documents' whether on paper or digital, whenever possible. So I decided to get all of my 'original documents' online. I blocked out all major account numbers and my ssn, except for the last four digits of each, by digitally erasing or making a filled-in rectangle over the first part, because some were pdf's and others were screenshot jpg's. And maybe a few word doc's downloaded from an account or two.

I also blocked out where I bought stuff on my credit card, but I didn't have any questionable big purchases since the split because I was executing financial austerity...actually, it was more like being cautious with my spending because I didn't know what financial pitfalls might lay ahead.

I made a folder called 'discovery response'. Within it I made numbered folders for every question, 1-34, even if the questions weren't applicable. Within every numbered folder I created a basic text document, titled with the same number, where I'd write my responses and description of that folders contents. Crowded folders had subfolders for each account, in an effort to keep things organized. For the non-applicable or not-available answers, I'd write 'na' in that folders text doc, keeping it vague. If the stbx had the doc, I'd write that in the text doc.

I zipped the 'discovery response' folder and emailed it to my attorney, who questioned my tactic but sent it anyway. OC was like a volcano erupting. But what's she gonna do besides be unreasonable. In a world of paperless billing, she had the 'original documents'.
a dad

Unread postby Trevor » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:58 pm

Nice. If they want hard copies, they can print them on their own dime.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby massdaddio » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:47 pm

Google is your friend. With all the divorces in the US, probably a big market for these!

http://www.amazon.com/Permanent-Marker- ... B00IGS6HNC
massdaddio
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Thoughts? » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:50 pm

Or electronically with Adobe Pro. Mark up what you want redacted, then when you're sure it's permanent, hit that button. You can then send electronic or print & do hard copy.

It's common to redact all but the last 3 to 4 numbers of every SS, account number, etc., any thing that could get submitted to the court & become part of public record.
The board is the sum of all of your great posts...Help divorced men be great dads! Divorce help in a father friendly divorce forum....more tips on how to deal with your divorce at DadsDivorce.com
Thoughts?

Unread postby Southern.Putter » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:09 pm

1. First, make a copy of any important pages that you need to redact.

2. Use "BIC Wite-Out Brand EZ Correct Correction Tape" on the _copy_ to redact as needed.

3. Make a copy of the now-redacted copy. Give that to the atty.

Mission accomplished! :!: :idea: :D
Southern.Putter
500+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:40 am

Use white out or black marker.

Then copy documents in a photo copy machine. A little old school, but it works.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby grandetaco » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:43 am

Thanks guys, being the value oriented person I am I ended up:

1. Using a #2 pencil to deface the SS#
2. and then using a sharpie pen on top of it
3. making a copy of that and it turned out pretty good.

the only problem was I could not tell which was the orig vs the copy, so I had to sniff each piece of paper!
grandetaco
500+ Posts

Next

Return to Technology and Divorce