Please recommend a voice recorder that WORKS!

Discussions on technology and its application and implications in divorce

Re: Please recommend a voice recorder that WORKS!

Unread postby ib536 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:35 am

So I'm looking at a couple different recorders and wanted to see what others opinions were on these:

Sony ICDUX533BLK

Sony ICDBX140

Sony ICDUX560BLK

Olympus V413111BU000

Anyone have experience with either of these? Pros/cons...Looking at a purchase next week.
Last edited by ib536 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ib536
50+ Posts

Unread postby spritom » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:07 pm

ib536 wrote:So I'm looking at a couple different recorders and wanted to see about others opinions were on these:

Sony ICDUX533BLK

Sony ICDBX140

Sony ICDUX560BLK

Olympus V413111BU000

I haven't used those specific models. I would be happy to have any one of them. They also get good reviews (about the only way you'll know if audio recording is clear enough). Though some of them have audio compression up to 1000+ hours, I'd likely use MP3 settings with a good bitrate/quality and bring it down to around 70-100 hours of capacity on a 4GB device...which I'd dump to a secured PC now and again.

Each looks to have a dedicated record button...great to start the recording on the fly if a situation is going South. The Olympus has that physical switch which is nice, you can start the recording without looking at it (though ideally you should start the recording before you even enter the same room as NJ or before you arrive at the exchange, etc.)

That very-thin Olympus looks quite handy to have concealed. I'd be tempted with that one.

Two take AAA-batteries - this is good if you find your recorder about to die (or died) and you have a spare battery on you. Having a built-in LiON rechargeable battery is cheaper though than buying batteries. If you're still living with the NJ and recording near 24/7, then having replaceable batteries was an important thing to me. During that time, I finally went to 2 voice recorders...one rechargeable and one backup-AAA-battery device.
New to all this? Read The List
TAC (The Acronym List)
Short-short version of what to do

跟猴子比丟屎
spritom
Moderator Emeritus

Unread postby ib536 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:05 am

Thanks spritom!

I'll have mine by the end of this week. After I start using it, I'll post my thoughts on here for others who will be looking...
ib536
50+ Posts

Unread postby ib536 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:02 am

Bit of an update for others...

I ended up getting a Sony ICD-PX333:
- 1073 hrs max recording time (using 8kps recording mode; highest is 192kps (44hrs recording time))
- Expandable memory card slot (micro SD - allows up to 4294 hrs w/ 16gb card)
- 4gb internal memory
- 96 hrs battery life (8kps recording mode)
- USB compatible (comes with USB connecting cable)
- microphone/headphone compatible (though not provided)
- "Intelligent Noise Cut" option (helps to eliminate background noise)
- Records date and time of recordings
- Available "Scene" select (you can mark a "scene" in the recording for fast retrieval of portions of recordings)
- $59.99 at Best Buy

So here's my take so far on this unit:
- size is 4-1/4" long x 1-3/8" wide x 3/4" thick. Not as small as I would have liked, but it fits in my pants pocket pretty well and as long as my jeans/pants aren't real tight, it does not profile/show itself easily.

- setup was pretty straight forward and the instructions are easy to follow. There are quite a few options on recording modes, sensitivity, etc, and it took a bit to get used to thumbing thru the options. But there wasn't much to get confused about. Just a lot of options.

- I have found that the lowest sensitivity setting, and longest recording mode works best for me.

- Front blue jean pocket works ok for sound pickup. The looser the pocket is, the better the quality. I think this is because a tighter pocket doesn't leave as much of an opening (pocket opening) for sound to enter. I tend to get a kind of weird, grainy, electronic feed-back (of sorts) on the recordings, but as long as your voice levels are not whisper quiet, then you can still here the conversations. And in an argument, who's whispering?

- With loose shorts (typically what I change into when I get home), the sound quality is pretty good. We had a "discussion" recently in the garage while the neighbor was running a weed-eater outside (garage door open). On playback, the conversation is easily heard even with the back noise of the weed-eater!

- On a personal note, I have already told her my intentions for divorce, I started recording before I got home and told her. Knowing the recorder was in my pocket has REALLY helped me focus on calm, level-headed conversations on my part. She has always pushed my buttons to the point where my volume would increase and I'd start to lose my cool. This thing helps! To the point I think it makes her mad how firm and straight-faced I've become.

- My recommendation is to get a recorder early and to practice with the different settings, different recording locations (pockets or other body locations), etc. to see how the playback is affected. If you have to use the thing to protect yourself, you'll want the best recording playback possible!

- I start the recorder while on my drive home from work. I state the day, date, and start time of recording. I don't turn it off until I'm halfway thru my drive to work the next morning, again stating day, date, and ending time of recording. On the weekends, I stop and start a new recording each morning before anyone else is awake (as I'm now sleeping in a separate room). Again stating dates and times. The date and time stamp function of the recorder helps to verify my statements.

- Recording in the above pattern, my batteries (2 AAA) have been lasting a full week.

- Each recording file name is the date of the recording. Example: 170627_001 is first recording of June 26th, 2017.
ib536
50+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:28 pm

That's the unit I used and found that the available extended mic really helped with sound quality.

To all of the newbies here maybe you remember the saying with a new twist "Don't go home without it!"
”No.” is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby spritom » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:17 pm

ib536 wrote:Bit of an update for others...

I ended up getting a Sony ICD-PX333:

Nice write-up, sounds like a good recorder!

- I start the recorder while on my drive home from work. I state the day, date, and start time of recording. I don't turn it off until I'm halfway thru my drive to work the next morning, again stating day, date, and ending time of recording. On the weekends, I stop and start a new recording each morning before anyone else is awake (as I'm now sleeping in a separate room). Again stating dates and times. The date and time stamp function of the recorder helps to verify my statements.

I used to do a similar schedule when I was in the same house during the divorce process.

- Recording in the above pattern, my batteries (2 AAA) have been lasting a full week.

I kept a spare pair of batts on me too (my recorder didn't go a whole week) and sometimes the recorder would die, so I'd dash into the bathroom, swap batts, flush, walk back out. A few recordings of mine began with a toilet flush...hehe
TAC (The Acronym List)

跟猴子比丟屎
spritom
Moderator Emeritus

Unread postby ib536 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:39 pm

Something else I'll add here on my chosen recording device that I like...

It has a "Hold" function switch. And it really does help. One day while helping one of my wife's friends move furniture, I started to hear some strange sounds. Turns out the recorder in my short's cargo pocket had pushed up against something while I was helping. It had stopped the current recording and had started a play-back of a previous recording!

I had forgot to hit the "Hold" switch! This switch (function) basically locks all the buttons on the face of the recorder to keep this exact scenario from happening.

Luckily, the volume was only loud enough for me to hear it in time, and my wife was nowhere around also. That could have been bad....
ib536
50+ Posts

Unread postby spritom » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Been using an Olympus WS-852 for a number of weeks now.
Good audio quality
Real simple/quick to get a recording started
Been real happy with it.
Wish it was a bit smaller. But works great in the pocket.
TAC (The Acronym List)

跟猴子比丟屎
spritom
Moderator Emeritus

Previous

Return to Technology and Divorce