Please recommend a voice recorder that WORKS!

Discussions on technology and its application and implications in divorce

Re: Please recommend a voice recorder that WORKS!

Unread postby Alon » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:10 am

I don't think it was enough to call the police. It could have been, if I had resisted, but I gave in. It's not the first time she's behaved like this.

The problem with the recorder is it keeps making beeping sounds. I have not yet managed to find out how to silence it, that is why I wasn't using it. It would not be possible to record without anyone knowing. I will get it figured out now, and start using it today.

I know everyone is right about I should have had this going long time ago. I appreciate the reminder of that, and perhaps also as a guidance to whoever is soon in my situation who might be reading.
Alon
100+ Posts

Unread postby striving » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:16 pm

Just wanted to post a recommendation for an iPhone app for recording that works well.

1. extremely simple. you press the big red button and it records. No fussing around when you need to quickly start it up
2. when you turn off the recoder, it immediately transfers the .mp3 file to your Dropbox account.
3. it can record for hours and hours
4. it will run in the background and with the screen turned off
5. there's no audible nor obvious visual indication that it's recording

The only down side is that it will pause/stop recording if you receive a call. I'll set do-not-disturb mode if that will be a problem, otherwise I just restart the recorder.

It's called "DropVox" on the app store. Not sure if there is an Android version.
striving
100+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:13 am

Ignore the bad advice above. Do not use your phone as your recorder. Ever.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby striving » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:37 am

I'll bite. why not?
striving
100+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:31 am

You've been here a year. I'll bet we've explained that fifty-eleven times during that year.

One of the two main reasons is in your own post. Can you think through the other one?

For the $50 it'll cost, it's a minimal insurace policy against a night in jail and handing OC a huge wildcard in the custody case against you.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:32 pm

striving wrote:The only down side is that it will pause/stop recording if you receive a call.
Or if you make one, too - like calling the Police?

I'll leave it to you to decern the second reason that Trevor was looking for.

There is a third reason that I think is just as critical, which has developed since the common use of a Smart Phone. Consider recording as only half the issue, playback is just as important, and you must gain the attention of the authority sufficently to listen to the recording. Remember the most common scenario - you have been frog-marched out to the curb; the officers have separated you, while one is speaking to the wifey inside, the other is questioning you at the curb. The He-said, She-said is resolved with the recording.

There is a huge difference in presenting a dedicated device as a prop, as thousands of our successful recordings have proven, it clearly indicates the issue of a false accusation was known and the degree of advance preparation matches the perceived threat.

How do you separate yourself from the unwashed masses who use their Smart Phone (since everyone owns one), how do you demonstrate to the responding officer that the seriousness of the matter was not lost on you - that you understood the possiblilty of arrest, the need for investigation, and created an additional barrier between you and the false accusation.

The separate device is a unique prop, and offers significant symbolic delivery that you understood the gravity of such accusations.

I join Trevor to see if you can establish, with some critical thinking, the second most important reason to carry a separate device rather than using your phone.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby striving » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:06 pm

I don't read all posts - just those I might be able to help on or might be relevant for me. I hadn't come across any of the eleventy-fifty posts but I did look through the Tech subforum and there's no mention.

I have two separate mp3 recorders and two tiny portable videocam mp4 recorders. One videocam is running in my house all the time, and I keep one in the car for drop-offs. I don't have as much use for the portable audio recorders as I used to (the NJ and I are almost never in proximity to each other - but when we were I kept those suckers on at all times - except the one time I needed it most of course :shock: ). I use the phone on-demand and when I want to record a group conversation as a memory aid (I know the recording laws in my state).

Should we lay out the reasons here for future readers?

Here are reasons to use a dedicated recorder instead of a phone:
- if you need 24x7
- if you need recording to continue during phone calls or phone usage
- if you expect someone might grab your phone out of your hands?
- if you may need to present audio to a policeman to avoid DV
- convey a perception of seriousness around the DV (Bart's point - good one)
...i.e. every divorced/divorcing dad needs at least one

Here are situations to use a phone instead of a recorder:
- if you need it to be totally surreptitious (nobody thinks twice about blank phone sitting there or in your hand)
- it's on demand, audio + video, and almost always with you
striving
100+ Posts

Unread postby stay-hungry » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:42 am

Additional argument against DropVox:
5. there's no audible nor obvious visual indication that it's recording

I see a red bar with blinking white text "Dropvox" at the top of the screen
stay-hungry
New

Unread postby Mock Turtle » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:43 pm

I used a myna bird. When it talked to the cops they took it to jail.
γού καvνοτ βε ας ςτοοpid ας Ι αm ηνλεςς γού Ηαvε βεεη ας ςmαρτ ας Ι ψας.
Mock Turtle
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:54 am

Lucky they didnt shoot him.

Fatheroffour

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and Divorce