low cost ip camera

Discussions on technology and its application and implications in divorce

low cost ip camera

Postby kal » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:07 am

anyone know of a low cost ip camera that has decent quality video. With audieo would nice but can live without it. Can be wired or wireless.
kal
10+ Posts

Re: low cost ip camera

Postby jumbledone » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:09 am

FYI - It is illegal to record things you are not physically present for, and maybe things you are physically present for, depending upon your state.
The meaning of life is Happiness. What makes you happy? - Dalai Lama

For a more peaceful life, live the serenity prayer.

It's like he never existed - FoF
jumbledone
5K+ posts

Postby kal » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:35 am

I don't know. It will not be placed in the house. Just in my garage. Ip cameras are in a lot of homes, why would this be any different?
kal
10+ Posts

Postby jumbledone » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:06 am

It does not matter garage or house. If you turn it on when you are there, if you're in a one party state, you're good. If you are in a two party state, could get you in trouble. You'd need to weigh the cost/benefit in a two party state, as well as know that if there is no big benefit (like keeping you out of jail on a DV charge), the recordings should never be even discussed with anyone. They did not occur.

But recording of people while you are not there, without their permission, generally is very frowned upon as it is illegal.
The meaning of life is Happiness. What makes you happy? - Dalai Lama

For a more peaceful life, live the serenity prayer.

It's like he never existed - FoF
jumbledone
5K+ posts

Postby kal » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:09 am

The use will be for mainly while I am there. I will talk with my attorney about it. Thanks for your input.
kal
10+ Posts

Postby hoosier_dad » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:20 am

Keep in mind that the legal concerns are for audio recording only. The easiest solution is to get a camera with video only.
hoosier_dad

Postby Southern.Putter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:22 pm

hoosier_dad makes a really important distinction. Most of the "one party vs. two party state" discussions that you'll read on this forum and elsewhere on the internet have their roots in both federal and state _wiretapping_ laws. The applicable laws can be _very_ different with regard to video recording. Especially when it comes to video recording when you are not present.

In general, when it comes to video records, no audio is better than audio. Video monitoring in locations where there should be "no reasonable expectation of privacy" is better -- but not always legal -- than video monitoring places that could be expected to be private. For example, video records of what is going on outside your house on the public sidewalk and street may be treated very differently from video records of a bedroom, a bathroom, or even a den/living room that could be expected to become private with the closing of the drapes.

Please be very careful. Do not assume that laws that apply only to audio recordings apply equally well to video recordings. In some states, I believe they could even come after you with various "stalking"-related statutes as well as both civil and criminal "invasion of privacy" actions (just in case you were not aware of that possibility).
Southern.Putter
500+ Posts

Postby a dad » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:19 pm

I'll answer.

You probably don't want "decent video quality", but here's three 640x480 wireless ip cams from $120-$200 (normal, night-vision & pan/tilt):

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subde ... id=1101701

What you should be looking at is logitecs HD solution for $300:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/video-sec ... lder#page0

You'll need one "Master System" camera that plugs into power and network. Then each additional camera ($199-$299) just plug into power (Ethernet over Power networking - not wireless).

All of the solutions above have movement alerts (like sending you an email) and options to only record when movement is seen (logitecs lets you select where it will look). They also all have free iOS app, Android app & Web interfaces that can control multiple cameras.

Now for the legality of it. If no one is legally permitted in this particular location, then isn't it ok to leave a camera running there? Or would recording a trespasser actually be illegal?
a dad

Postby someguy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:18 am

I had to check on this for Michigan because I recorded audio and video in and around my shop. The only requirement was a notice (stickers) on the doors that this was taking place. That provides constructive (legal) notice. I think the same goes for private homes also, especially your own home when it can be shown to be part of a security plan.
someguy
10+ Posts

Postby PatientZero » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:05 pm

Foscam makes some decent wireless (with wired port if you prefer) cams that you can remote control, watch from your fone, internet, etc. I have a couple around my home. Two way sound, 180 degree movement, IR nightvision. I think it was some $80.
PatientZero
100+ Posts

Next

Return to Technology and Divorce