First New Topic Template

This is a place where members can make suggestions about forum features, get feedback from other forum members on those suggestions, or ask questions about technical issues relating to their use of the forums.

First New Topic Template

Unread postby NotDivorcedyet » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:41 pm

These forums should be able to be setup so that a first time a member goes to post a New Topic, it automatically loads a template, something along the lines of -

Is your username close to your real name (If yes, change it):
Children Gender/Age:
Years Married:
State of Residence:
Model of Digial Recorder:
Have you read The List:
Story:

Just an idea, to help clean up the amount of digging those of us are required to do in the initial part of the thread.
I'm not paid to Sugarcoat things, if that's what you're looking for talk to someone who works for Krispy Kreme.
NotDivorcedyet
100+ Posts

Re: First New Topic Template

Unread postby BartSimpson » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm opposed. This isn't a one-size fits all, tell us your size type of forum.

I support the Golden Hour rule - we should respond to the newcomer first, even if only to ask what State, and engage the newcomer as quickly as possible, always within an hour of posting. Often those questions you want are part of breaking the ice - it allows entry into a dialog.

Watching another forum attempt this, I see it ignored 50% of the time.

It's like making things a sticky - that does nothing to get people to read them first.

Did you see this? I think it is the directions for the newcomer on another forum:
http://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custo ... 87214.html
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Re: First New Topic Template

Unread postby NotDivorcedyet » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:00 pm

I had not seen that sticky, but I am not on that forum...

No worries if its opposed, it was just a suggestion. Just trying to help with the clutter.

But I can see your point of view on the subject.
I'm not paid to Sugarcoat things, if that's what you're looking for talk to someone who works for Krispy Kreme.
NotDivorcedyet
100+ Posts

Return to Forum Suggestions