Forum Changes

This is a place where members can make suggestions about forum features, get feedback from other forum members on those suggestions, or ask questions about technical issues relating to their use of the forums.

Re: Forum Changes

Unread postby a dad » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:49 pm

Hello Katie,

You say that I should have no issues going forward, that the only changes are cosmetic, however my singular goal on this site is to help kids. Wouldn't you say that you are undermining the dynamics of the forum in regards to my only goal?

Do you find that the advice in my list posted above completely contradicts the advice we currently give?

Similarly, do you see that much of what we have built will be null and void for many newcomers, such as the links in my signature?

What are the positives of adding childless men to this fathers forum?

I'm interested to know if you performed a study on childless posters here at this forum and how those interactions transpired. I'd hope the study included at least 10 cases and it was performed prior to such a drastic change was even considered. Because based on our currently active childless case, he appears to be straining resources, not listening, and remaining hate filled. Without children, he has little to no incentive to act maturely and logically.

Thank you in advance Katie,
a dad
a dad

Unread postby Outis » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:17 pm

On the bright side, we can pick where we contribute.

Katie, please tell you're upgrading the forum software to something, you know, newer than 1992.
What am I to do with all this silence
Shy away, shy away phantom
Run away terrified child
Outis
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Outis » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:02 pm

Also, fix the PM issue with Tapatalk. PMs sent there are not able to be opened by the recipient.

Congrats on your new job. I'll keep the bug reports and suggestions coming.
Run away terrified child
Outis
5K+ Posts

Unread postby tech_admin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:52 pm

Outis wrote:On the bright side, we can pick where we contribute.

Katie, please tell you're upgrading the forum software to something, you know, newer than 1992.

I'll jump in here:

Yes, we agree. Although phpBB is dependable (we have a moderately-sized community and require software stability) the aesthetics of phpBB have grown stale. The 90's are not just alive in Portland 8 )

We want to provide the best experience, so we are always exploring ways to improve the forum. I want to emphasize that there will not be an overhaul of the forum software any time soon, however a migration and redesign would improve performance and aesthetics. We will explore possibilities in 2015 (Vanilla, myBB, bbPress, ???).

Why 2015? Because we need to roll out an improved dadsdivorce.com first!
tech_admin
Site Admin

Unread postby tech_admin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:56 pm

Outis wrote:Also, fix the PM issue with Tapatalk. PMs sent there are not able to be opened by the recipient.

Congrats on your new job. I'll keep the bug reports and suggestions coming.

I am in conversation with our web hosts regarding Tapatalk. We are waiting for upgrades on the host's end before we can jump to the next API version. A Tapatalk plugin upgrade should resolve that issue and more.
tech_admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Outis » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:15 pm

admin wrote:however a migration and redesign would improve performance and aesthetics. We will explore possibilities in 2015 (Vanilla, myBB, bbPress, ???).

Why 2015? Because we need to roll out an improved dadsdivorce.com first!

Honestly, I think IvPB is your best bet. It will handle the forum, a blog, and plenty more that you likely won't use. It's a pretty good software, even if it doesn't have the following of vBulletin (which I'm surprised isn't on your list).

I understand either of those would likely cost a bit more in licensing than the options listed. However, with all due respect, there isn't enough time or attention put into the admin/updates/upgrades of the forums anyway, and the options I listed are very easy to use out of the box.

But if you want small footprint and customization, FlaskBB looks like it would be a lot of fun. The Flask framework is pretty dang versatile, and Python is a lovely language with which to program.

Either way, good luck with it. Forum upgrades when changing software are never fun or easy....even if they're well worth it in the end.
Run away terrified child
Outis
5K+ Posts

Previous

Return to Forum Suggestions