Couple of quick thoughts

This is a place where members can make suggestions about forum features, get feedback from other forum members on those suggestions, or ask questions about technical issues relating to their use of the forums.

Couple of quick thoughts

Unread postby Here_We_Go » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:06 pm

1. A segregated area for Childless Divorces
2. I'm not sure if it is possible but when someone creates a new topic in Before and during, after, parenting they have to fill in couple of blanks:
-kids and ages
-radio selector button that indicates the state (should probably be for all forums)

I'm not suggesting it be required to create a topic but OP should be prompted to fill in somehow or another
Here_We_Go
1K+ Posts

Re: Couple of quick thoughts

Unread postby minuette » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:58 pm

I would opine that we don't see enough childless divorces on DADSdivorce.com to warrant a separate forum. (No dog in this fight, of course, just MHO)

On the second item: 50 states plus US federal jurisdictions is a ton of radio buttons and the extra fields are additional coding for info that we suss out in the first few posts (by simply asking), anyway. Maybe a combo list field to select the state / jurisdiction? But what happens if the jurisdiction isn't selected? Does the forum eat the post when prompting for a required response? Not good - I see posts getting eaten on occasion at FreeAdvice just for clicking the glitchy "preview" button.

Before I code a form update for our program client management system at work, I ask two questions:

Does this improvement save the end user time/effort?

To what extent do those savings enhance productivity?

Generally, if I can't improve productivity, I don't code the update. Back-end improvements, yes, but not that which changes the end-user experience without offering more bang for the buck. Again, JMHO.
minuette
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:29 pm

forum.mensdivorce.com

The New List:

Do not hire an attorney unless your marriage was over 10 years, then just a consult may be all that is needed to determine spousal support.
Don't record, just move out of the house.
Move far away.
Don't talk to your stbx about anything, ever.
Get a girlfriend, or a few.
Don't journal.
Fight your stbx for every last dime.
Money is your only concern.
a dad

Unread postby minuette » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:05 pm

That's solid gold right there, a dad.
minuette
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:12 pm

That's why they call me Dion Warwick of the '80s.
a dad

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:12 pm

Having been through both, there is no comparison between a childless divorce and one with children. Completely different animals.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby dadsdivorce » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:12 pm

Hello everyone,

So, I wanted to let you all know (and reassure you guys) that I've now seen the images for how the forum will look, and it is nearly the same. Anyone who has previously been a user/contributor to the forum should have no issue going forward.

The only changes are as follows:

-The header will have a new logo, featured house adds and a slightly different menu of links

-Many of the areas are themed with red - the new will be more blue in color

-The URL will change to forum.mensdivorce.com. However, if anyone has a bookmark or goes to forum.dadsdivorce.com, they will be immediately redirected to the new and correct URL

All in all, it's not really a complete redesign of the forum as much as a new coat of paint, so to speak.

That being said, let me know if you have any other concerns/questions.

Thanks so much,

Katie Davis
Online Editor
DadsDivorce.com Editor
Forum Administrator
--
Divorce advice for men in a friendly divorce forum. Get all your divorce help at Dadsdivorce.com
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Unread postby RustBeltCrooner » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:55 pm

I have advocated for a childless divorce subforum in the past. However, I think the "Financial" subforum is adequate. The focus on "financial" as opposed to custody is sufficient to separate "non-custody" issues. The financial subforum is unofficial home to posters with adult or no children or for Dads with non-kid-related questions.
Five years of litigation if you include Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Only kid is s28.
RustBeltCrooner
500+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Hello Katie,

You say that I should have no issues going forward, that the only changes are cosmetic, however my singular goal on this site is to help kids. Wouldn't you say that you are undermining the dynamics of the forum in regards to my only goal?

Do you find that the advice in my list posted above completely contradicts the advice we currently give?

Similarly, do you see that much of what we have built will be null and void for many newcomers, such as the links in my signature?

What are the positives of adding childless men to this fathers forum?

I'm interested to know if you performed a study on childless posters here at this forum and how those interactions transpired. I'd hope the study included at least 10 cases and it was performed prior to such a drastic change was even considered. Because based on our currently active childless case, he appears to be straining resources, not listening, and remaining hate filled. Without children, he has little to no incentive to act maturely and logically.

Thank you in advance Katie,
a dad
a dad

Unread postby dadsdivorce » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:06 pm

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies. We can discuss creating another section/sub-section in the near future. If this is something that you'd still like to do, and especially if you have ideas or further suggestions, please let me know.

Again, as current users are concerned, these changes will be anything but drastic. Please feel reassured in knowing that, when the URL switches, you will pretty much only notice the superficial or appearance-based changes.

The threads, current posts/replies, moderators, points of focus, functionality and more will all remain the same.

Thanks,

Katie Davis
DadsDivorce.com Editor
Forum Administrator
--
Divorce advice for men in a friendly divorce forum. Get all your divorce help at Dadsdivorce.com
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Next

Return to Forum Suggestions