Missouri

This is a place where members can make suggestions about forum features, get feedback from other forum members on those suggestions, or ask questions about technical issues relating to their use of the forums.

Missouri

Unread postby highspeed1972 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:55 pm

If you live in Missouri there is a bill in the house that will reduce the child support age from 21 to 18 or finish high school. Same way most other states are. Please email the Rep and Senators and ask them to support HB984.

And please spread the word.

Please support HB984.

http://house.mo.gov/billsummary.aspx?bi ... 015&code=R

http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-serv ... ority.aspx

http://www.house.mo.gov/member.aspx

http://www.senate.mo.gov/15info/senateroster.htm

6/22/2015

Dear Senator
As a divorced father, I understand my job to financially support my two children. I have my child support automatically withdrawn from my checking so I am never late and my children never have to go without. However, in the state of Missouri, I am required to continue to pay child support for both my children till the age of 21 years old, as long as they continue in school. Most of the states stop child support at the age of 18 or after they have graduated high school. I do not understand why the state of Missouri has pushed the age all the way back to 21. Once a child turns 18 they are old enough to make their own decisions, to work, to go to school and/or to join the military. Why would a parent be required to continue to pay for a child that chooses to go to college? This should be a choice for a parent not a requirement. If I would of stayed in an unhappy marriage and my kids turned 18, I would not have to pay for their college, but because I choose to get a divorce, now I am required to continue to financially support them. This is absolutely hypocritical and takes away my choice as a parent.
This law is hurting fathers and/or mother’s to continue to have to pay child support till the age of 21. This law put parents in a terrible position. We are not able to save for our own retirement or our future because we continue to have to pay for children over the age of 18 that are considered adults in every other part of the country. They can vote, fight for our country, get a job, go to school or choose whatever path they want to in life. We give our children the choices, so why not give the parents the choice. If I want to continue to support my child after the age 18 that should be my choice and not the state’s choice.
We need to follow suit of other states and have the child support age end at age 18. We need to respect that once a child hits 18 we are classifying them as an adult. We need to put the decision back into the parent’s hands to decide if they want to continue to support their children when they are in higher education. And we need to realize after paying years and years of child support, a parent has to start looking towards saving for their future and allow their child to start supporting themselves.
I ask that you please reconsider the child support age to be back to 18 when a child actually becomes an adult. Continuing to pay till a child is 21 is almost paying welfare to the child.
There is a bill waiting to be voted on by Representative Jim Neely HB984. Please support this.

Sincerely,
highspeed1972
First Post

Re: Missouri

Unread postby TeflonDad » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:44 pm

Thanks for the heads up. However, I don't think you'll get sympathy from the legislature with the impact to the parent paying CS story.

The arguments that hold water: The child is 18, and a legal adult. The state has no longer has a "child" whose interests it oversees, and that is the subject of the court order that can form the basis of a "child support" order to transfer money from one adult to another.

Other possible arguments that hold water: The equal protection clause. Newly adult 18 year old children of married and unmarried parents are at a disadvantage to their peers from divorced parents in that they do not have the state forcing their parents to pay "child support" to them. That is a direct and discriminatory "benefit" that children of divorced parents get from the courts and the legislature abusing the power to order child support beyond the legal age of majority, 18 years old. This discriminatory benefit is entirely a creation of the Missouri Legislature and blatantly undermines the very institution of marriage that the legislature clearly cherishes. Except when you are a child of married parents, apparently, you are not equally loved by the state.

Once the child turns 18, the parent receiving child support has no obligation to provide any of the resources that are the foundation of ordering child support in the first place - food, shelter, and clothing. It is unconscionable that the legislature and the courts feel it necessary to impose an obligation on the parent paying child support, payable to the other parent, when there is no similar obligation imposed on the receiving parent to actually provide any resources and monies received to the sole benefit of the adult child? Child Support isn't ordered to be paid to the child, but to the other parent of the divorce action.

Once the child of divorced parents is an adult, they should be on the same level "playing field" as any other child reaching the age of majority, and negotiating with their parents, adult to adult, over their parents willingness and individual ability
to provide support, whether tangible, monetary, or not, and investment in their adult child's future.
The board is the sum of all of your great posts. Help divorced men be great dads!
Divorce help in a father friendly divorce forum. More tips on how to deal with your divorce at DadsDivorce.com
TeflonDad
Moderator Emeritus

Unread postby TeflonDad » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:04 pm

This is what I sent to both my Rep and Senator.
Please support HB984 that will end the unfair disadvantage and discrimination that children of married parents are subject to because the state does not order their parents to provide support to their legal adult children after they have reached the age of majority, eighteen years of age.

Such discussions as to the support and the nature of that support, monetary or not, should be between equals, adult-to-adult, with each family making their decisions each according to their own beliefs and abilities, without this hamfisted, unnecessary, and harmful intrusion of the state into these deeply personal matters.

Your support of HB984 is a vote in support of children of married parents as well as in giving divorced families the dignity of self-determination once all parties are legal adults and bring finality and closure to the divorce proceedings.
The board is the sum of all of your great posts. Help divorced men be great dads!
Divorce help in a father friendly divorce forum. More tips on how to deal with your divorce at DadsDivorce.com
TeflonDad
Moderator Emeritus

Unread postby JoeSchmoe » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:12 pm

Now if we can just get missouri legislature to allow alimony to be reduced or terminated after 2 or 3 years of ex cohabitating with Mr. Wonderful.
As the law is written now, there is absolutely NO incentive for an ex to EVER get married (as they will then loose they're monthly Alimony/Maintenence $$$).

Totally unfair the way the law is written right now, as she can get 2 incomes from 2 relationships indefinitely!!
JoeSchmoe
50+ Posts

Return to Forum Suggestions